On this course, students will learn how to apply medical knowledge in order to help patients. Topics covered include:
- How to take a good history from a patient – students will have the opportunity to practice taking histories from our patient actors.
- The importance of good communication skills in medicine
- Basic cardiology – function of the heart and how to perform an examination of the heart using a stethoscope
- Basic neurology – the different parts of the brain, and the most common diseases of the brain
This course focuses on more practical skills that doctors use to help patients on a daily basis. Topics covered include:
- Recognising and managing common surgical emergencies
- Important considerations for patients undergoing surgery
- Suturing – students will have the opportunity to practice suturing using real equipment
- Basic first aid and CPR. Students will have the opportunity to practice these skills on dummies.